Friday 5 October 2007

Good Luck Hotel, by Samuel Roldan

It was Friday. I was in my job tidying a lot of documents when my boss appeared and said to me: “Hey, Sam, the company has breakdown. Today is our last day. You do anything you want. I am going to go up to the terrace roof”. “Anything I want” I thought. Immediately I looked for a trip to Egypt on Internet, it’s a dream that I have always had: the pyramids, the river, the magic carpets … I found an irresistible offer, a flight charter supercheap, but I had to travel that night. So I booked it and I start to run. I didn’t have much time. On the parking of the company I saw to my boss stuck dangerously on the terrace roof.

“I’m going to Egypt, now!” I said, “Good luck” he replied. I think in that moment a doom fell over me. On the highway I took a short cut but I found a big traffic jam, in my neighbourhood didn’t have electricity and at home, in the darkness, my dog didn’t recognize me and he bit me several times. How there isn’t light I only could catch my toothbrush and the money. When I arrive at the airport I was exhausted and I was so hungry I could eat a horse. In Passport Control I had a lot of problems. You can’t imagine how strange is a sweaty tired man with bites and blood on his trousers without a suit case and trying to fly to a Arabian country. At last I passed to the Departure Lounge and went around in the duty-free. There I could buy toothpaste and cigarettes. I rested a little before take off on a silver scrap nightmare. When we landed I got my knees and crying I kissed the ground. I didn’t have problems with the suitcase, I didn’t have one. I took a taxi to my hotel, it was “Good Luck Hotel”.

No comments: