Friday 5 October 2007

A (fictional) letter to The Times protesting the smoking ban, by Anne-Sophie

Dear Sir

I am writing to the Newspaper to complain about our “Nanny State” and more specifically against the smoking ban

I am a heavy smoker as I started when I was 18 and I never stopped. I smoke about 20 cigarettes a day.

For me, to smoke is a choice. I have enough money to buy cigarettes, I like smoking and I don’t think that smoking makes you die earlier. I know many old people who have smoking all their lives and are still in good health. If these people had to to stop smoking, I am sure they would become depressed.

I enjoy smoking when I am in a pub with friends who smoke or not, and if they don’t want me to smoke or if there is a baby near I don’t. But to make a law about it is completely stupid. Cigarette kill fewer people then cars so why don’t we pass a law against driving cars?

I think the government has to decide things for our country but you treat us like babies is not a good thing: liberties are being gradually taken away. To be able to choose your way of life is the more important freedom I think, and as I smoke I don’t want to be seen as a second class citizen which the government encourages non-smokers to see me as.

My last point is that the government will have less revenue from the taxes on cigarettes and we will be taxed in another way.

I respect people who don’t want to be passive smokers and I hope that you will respect my point of view.

Anne-Sophie

No comments: