Tuesday 29 January 2008

The main goal of education, by Pierre Havard


It is often assumed that the main purpose of the educational system is to prepare people for joining the labour market later rather than to help them develop into independent-thinking individuals.

However, I think that it is obviously not the true aim of education. To my mind, the faculty of thinking by itself is much more important for human beings than to be formatted to work for particular types of jobs. I think that a person needs to think for himself all his life whereas a job cannot last as long as the independent- thinking faculty.

Furthermore, France’s education system, for instance, tries to prepare young people for joining the labour market instead of being a “good thinker”. I agree that people have to be prepared for work but thinking is more important than anything. And yet, the French system doesn’t manage very well in its main goal e.g. to prepare youngsters for joining specific work. That is why I advocate that education systems urge young people to develop their thinking faculty.

What makes a man feels like a man is his thinking. Didn’t Descartes say: “I think therefore I am”?

No comments: